Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Harry Potter's Emma Watson is moving on: After 10 years of having her life consumed by Harry Potter, new adventures lie ahead


Poised and self-assured, Emma Watson is the essence of her Hermione Granger character -- minus the long hair and the magic spells.
At a Claridge's hotel suite in London, Watson, sporting her new pixie haircut, fields Harry Potter questions with a wit and charm beyond her 20 years. But she's always been ahead of the curve, even as a child thespian.
She only had school plays on her resume when she first took on the demanding role of Hermione in 2001's Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, the debut movie of the popular J.K. Rowling fantasy series.
Seven films later, Watson's a veteran of a record-setting franchise about to wind up with the much-anticipated release of The Deathly Hallows: Part 1 on Friday and Part 2 set to open July 15.
Directed by David Yates from a Steve Kloves screenplay, Part 1 has Harry, Hermione and Ron escaping from the compromised Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry after the Death Eaters gain control.
The trio's goal is to destroy the Horcrux devices and locate a weapon that will defeat the menacing Lord Voldemort (Ralph Fiennes), who is determined to eliminate Harry.
The latest adventure just might be the most thrilling yet, and definitely the most demanding acting exercise for Radcliffe, Grint, and Watson.
As it is, Watson has already decided on her post-Potter phase. Unlike her mates, she's taking a break from the film industry to garner a post-secondary education at the Ivy league Brown University in Providence, Rhode Island.
But that doesn't mean she's giving up acting. It's more like taking a well-deserved break after a decade of growing up on sets.
The daughter of British lawyers Jacqueline Luesby and Chris Watson, Watson moved from Paris to Oxfordshire, England, with her mother following her parents' divorce.
She enrolled in the Oxford branch of the Stagecoach Theatre arts program, where she excelled at singing, dancing and acting. She had performed in many amateur productions, but never anticipated the success that would follow.
Watson discusses that and more during an easygoing chat:
Q: How have you managed to keep the media exposure in perspective?
A: It's experience. I'm 20 now and I was nine or 10 when I went into my first press conference. You learn that it takes too much emotional energy to get upset every time something is said you don't like.
Q: Do you get hassled by the American media at Brown University?
A: I'm much more anonymous in the States. I just needed a change. I needed a fresh start, somewhere I could go and feel like I could reinvent myself.
Q: Will you stay on in the U.S.?
A: I could very easily see myself splitting my time between New York and London.
Q: In Deathly Hallows, you are outside of the Hogwarts' domain. Was that odd?
A: You know what? It was so nice not having that whole infrastructure. It can become quite stilted. It was nice for it to be the three of us.
Q: How difficult was the sequence showing Hermione getting Mudblood written on her with Bellatrix Lestrange (Helena Bonham Carter) by her side?
A: It was very weirdly affecting and quite horrible. I think even Helena didn't like it.
Q: But rumour has it that you came up with the idea. True?
A: It was something Helena and I came up with. We thought it would be more powerful to physically see the pain than do a spell.
Q: And Harry and Hermione kiss in one dream sequence. Radcliffe claims you are quite the fiery kisser. Is he right?
A: The vision had to disturb Ron, so it had to be passionate. But I think he (Daniel) called me an animal in an interview. (Smiling.) I guess I should take it as a compliment.
Q: The dance sequence featuring Hermione and Harry is less intense. Could Radcliffe manage the choreography?
A: As much as I love Dan (Radcliffe), he's not a naturally gifted dancer. But it was perfect for the scene. It was meant to look silly and spontaneous.
Q: The opening sequence recalling Hermione's parents seemed emotionally raw. Was it?
A: I don't want to get too heavy, but being from a family that's been split up, I know what it's like. I guess I used some of that.
Q Was it difficult to wrap the films last summer?
A: I feel like I've answered this question a million times and it never gets easier. I still don't really know how I feel about it. I'm still processing.
Q: Do you have mixed emotions?
A: I feel very sad and I have days where I'm so excited.
Q: Excited?
A: My life revolved around Harry Potter. That was the focal point of my existence, and it's exciting now that I have this time to think and accept other things.
---
HARRY POTTER WEEK
We have Pottermania!
Follow our spellbinding series counting down to Friday's release of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1.
Friday: The dawning of Deathly Hallows; Stars come out for London premiere.
Saturday: New book looks inside the world of Harry Potter; Douglas Todd on Harry Potter and the church.
Monday: How Potter fans have grown up with the series.
Today: Emma Watson interview.
Wednesday: Rupert Grint interview.
Thursday: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 review; Daniel Radcliffe interview.
Friday: Harry Potter cast reveal their favourite moments.

No comments:

Post a Comment